The recently-released Tripadvisor 2021 Fall Travel Index proves that staycations, once a leisure novelty, is a trend that is here to stay.
When it comes to leisure, staycations are the new normal, says Tripadvisor. Once regarded as an occasional novelty leisure activity, staycations have largely displaced international travel plans because of travel restrictions imposed due to the worldwide coronavirus pandemic.
The world’s leading travel platform recently unveiled the Tripadvisor 2021 Fall Travel Index, with data showing that the staycation trend is here to stay. While Tripadvisor’s latest study is smallish in scale – the data is based on an online survey of over 2,386 consumers carried out across six countries including Singapore – it did reveal some telling trends around Singaporean attitudes towards staycations.
Some of the key data points that stood out in the Tripadvisor 2021 Fall Travel Index include:
- Regionally in APAC, the vast majority (87%) of travel intent remains domestic,
- 86% of Singaporeans plan to book at least 1 local trip in the next 2 months,
- A third of Singaporeans (33%) are planning at least two trips this fall, and more than one in ten (12%) are planning on taking three or more, and
- One in seven (13%) of Singaporean travellers indicated their plans for a one-night stay, compared with the 59% that are looking for a longer 2-5 day stay
And what do Singaporeans look for when picking staycations? According to the study:
- When it comes to hotels, Singaporean travellers are searching most for clean (COVID-19 safe) hotels and modern hotels
- In terms of amenities, restaurant, bar/lounge and spas are cropping up
- The most popular hotel styles in Singapore are family and mid-range hotels
- Singaporeans are spending S$487 on average on their fall trip
Some of our favourite staycation hotels in Singapore include Novotel Singapore On Stevens and One Farrer Hotel (both of which are 2021 Tripadvisor Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best award winners), cosy Hotel G Singapore, as well as the recently refurbished PARKROYAL on Beach Road.
Which are your favourite staycation spots in Singapore? Do chime out in the comments below.
Follow us on Telegram to get updated on news and events!